- 1. What are the various Organizational assignments to a company code?
Company code is a legal entity for which financial statements like profit & loss and Balance sheets are generated. Plants are assigned to a company code, purchasing organization is assigned to the company code, and sales organization is assigned to the company code.
- 2. What is relation between a controlling areas and a company code?
A controlling area can have the following 2 types of relationship with a company code.
- Single company code relation
- Cross company code relation
This means that one single controlling area can be assigned to several different Company Codes.
Controlling area can have a one is to one relationship or a one is to many relationship with different company codes.
Controlling area is the umbrella which all controlling activities of cost center Accounting. Product costing, Profit center and Profitability Analysis are sorted.
In a similar way Company Codes is the umbrella for Finance activities.
- 3. How many Chart of Accounts can a Company Code have?
A single company code can have only one chart of Account assigned to it. The Chart of Accounts is nothing but the list of Genaral ledger Accounts.
- 4. What are the options in SAP when it comes to Fiscal years?
Fiscal year is nothing but the way financial data is stored in the system. You have 12 periods in SAP and also 4 special periods. These periods are stored in what is called the Fiscal year Variants.
There are two types of Fiscal year Variant
- Calendar year – Jan to Dec , April to Mar
- Year dependent Fiscal year
- 5. What is a year dependent fiscal year variant?
In a year dependent fiscal year variant the number of days in a month are not as per the calendar Month.
Example: For the year 2012 the period January ends on 29th, Feb ends on 27th, March ends on 29th. For the year 2013 January ends on 30th, Feb ends on 26th, March ends on 30th. This is applicable to many countries especially USA. Every year Fiscal year variant needs to be configured.
- 6. How does posting happen in MM during special periods?
There is no posting which happens from MM in special periods. Special periods are only applicable for the FI Module. They are required for making any additional posting such as closing entries, Provisions. Which happen during quarter end or year end.
- 7. How many currencies can be configured for a company code?
A company code can have 3 currencies in total. One which is called the local currency (ie Company code currency) and 2 parallel currencies can be configured.
- 8. Do you require configuring additional ledger for parallel currencies?
In case 2 currencies are configured. (Company code currency and a parallel currency) there is no need for an additional ledger. In case the third parallel currency is configured and is different than the second currency type, you need to configure additional ledger.
- 9. If there are two company codes with different chart of accounts how can you consolidate their activities?
In this case you either need to write an ABAP program or you need to implement the Special Consolidation Module of SAP. If both the company codes use the same chart of accounts then standard SAP reports give you the consolidated figure.