SAP -GL Interview questions
- 1. Give some examples of GL accounts that should be posted automatically through the system and how is this defined in the system?
Stock and Consumption accounts are instances of GL accounts that should be automatically posted to. In the GL account master record, a check box exists wherein automatic posting option is selected called “Post Automatic only”.
- 2. Where is a account group and where all is it used?
An account group controls the data that needs to be entered at the time of creation of a master record. Account groups exists for the definition of a GL account, Vendor and Customer master. It basically controls the fields which pop up during master data creation.
- 3. What is a field status group?
Field status groups control the fields which come up when the user does the transactions. The options available is one can have the fields only for display or one can suppress it or make it mandatory. So there are three options basically. The field status group is stored in the FI GL Master.
- 4. What is the purpose of a “Document Type” in SAP?
A document type is specified at the header level during transaction entry and serves the following purposes:
- It defines the Number ranges of the document
- It controls the type of accounts that can be posted at eg Assets, Vendor, Customer & Normal GL Account.
- Document type to be used for reversal of entries
- Document type can be used for Batch Input sessions
- 5. What is a Financial Statement Version?
An FSV is a reporting tool and can be used to depict the manner in which the final accounts like Profit and Loss account and Balance sheet needs to be extracted from SAP. It is freely definable and multiple FSV’s can be defined for generating the output for various external agencies like Banks and other statutory authorities.
- 6. How can Input and Output taxes taken care in SAP?
A tax procedure is defined for each country and tax codes are defined within this. There is flexibility to either expense out the Tax amounts or capitalize the same to stocks.
- 7. What are Validations and Substitutions?
Validations /Substitutions in SAP are defined for each functional are eg Assets , Controlling etc at the following levels,
- Document level
- Line item level
These need to be specifically activated and setting them up are complex and done only when it is really needed. Often help of the technical team is taken to do that.
- 8. Is it possible to maintain Plant wise different GL codes?
The valuation group code should be activated. The valuation grouping code is maintained per plant and is configured in the MM module. Account codes should be maintained per valuation grouping code after doing the configuration.
- 9. Is Business area at Company Code Level?
No. Business area is at client level. Which means other Company Codes can also post to the same Business area.
- 10. What are the difference scenarios under which a Business Area or a Profit Center may be defined?
This question in usually very disputable. But both business areas and Profit centers are created for internal reporting. Each has its own pros and cons but many companies now a days go for Profit Center as there is a feeling that business area enhancements would not be supported by SAP in future versions.
There are typical month end procedures which need to be executed for both of them and many times reconciliation might become a big issue. A typical challenge in both of them is in cases where you do not know the Business area or Profit Center of the transaction at the time of posting.
- 11. What are the problems faced when a Business area is configured?
The problem of splitting of account balance is more pertinent incase of Tax accounts.
- 12. Is it possible to default certain values for particular fields? For e.g. Company Code.
Yes it is possible to default for certain fields where a parameter id is present. Go to the input field to which you want to make defaults. Press F1, and then click Technical info button, This opens a window that displays the corresponding parameter ID(if one has been allocated to the field) in the field data section. Enter this parameter ID using following path on SAP
Easy access screen system > User profile>Own data.
Click on parameter tab. Enter the parameter ID code and enter the value you require to default. Save the user Settings.
- 13. Which is the default exchange rate type which is picked up for all SAP transactions?
The default exchange rate type picked up for all SAP transactions is M (Average type)
- 14. Is it possible to configure the system to pick up a different exchange rate type for a particular transaction?
Yes it is possible. In the document type definition of GL, you need to attach a different exchange rate type.
- 15. What are the Customizing prerequisites for document clearing?
Account must be managed on the open item management. This tick is there in the General Ledger Master Record called open Item Management. It helps you to manage your accounts in terms of cleared and uncleared items. A typical example would be GR/IR Account in SAP (Goods Received/Invoice Received Account).
- 16. Explain the importance of the GR/IR clearing account.
GR/IR is an interim account. In legacy system if the goods are received and the invoices is not received the provision is made, in SAP at the Goods receipt it passes the accounting entry debiting the Inventory and Crediting the GR/IR Account. Subsequently when an invoice is recd this GR/IR account is debiting and the Vendor account is credited. That way till the time that the invoice is not received the GR/IR is shown as uncleared items.
- 17. How many numbers of line items in one single entry you can have?
No of line items in one document you can accommodate is 999 Lines.
- 18. In assignment field in the Document you get some reference, which comes from where?
This is on the basis of sort key entered in the master.
- 19. How do you maintain the number range in Production environment? By creating in Production or by transport?
Number range is to be created in the production client. You can transport it also by way of request but creating in the production client is more advisable?
- 20. In customizing “Company Code Productive” means what? What it denotes?
Once the Company code is live this check box helps prevent deletion of many programmes accidentally. This check box is activated just before go live.